SU compared to Weber?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU compared to Weber?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 23:17:13 +0000
I was working on the 'B' a few days ago when a gentleman stopped by
and told me he used to own my particular car.  We chatted for a
while, and he left.  He came back the next day with a folder full of
receipts for the car, and a cardboard box.  I opened the box, and
found the complete original carburetters, intake manifold,
linkages, heat shield, original air filters and a set of K&N flat
filters!
        They're the SU HIF4 model, and everything seems to be complete and
in good shape.  I'm curious what the performance/maintenance
differences would be between these carbs and the Weber 32/36
downdraft I have on it now.
        What are the important things to look for when rebuilding the HIF4?
I'd replace all of the soft pieces just on general principles, and I
guess the throttle shafts would need checking.  Are there any
companies that do this kind of work well?  I'm not concerned with
turnaround time, since the Weber I'm using on the car now is working
fine.   Also, can anyone recommend a source for pictures of all the
linkages, hoses and brackets?  I think I have it all connected
together correctly, but I'm not sure what the spring loaded shaft
below the throttle shaft does.  Is it the choke?
        One last question-- what is the induction heater and what does is
do?  If I'm reading the Vicky Brit catalog correctly, these carbs on
a '72 should have had the heaters, but they weren't in the box, and
it seems to have the non-induction carb/manifold spacers.
        These carbs are MASSIVE compared to the single DGV, but after
assembling the whole setup on the workbench, they sure are
attractive!  Any advice on whether it would be worth it to put these
back on the car would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner