basis for emissions standards?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: basis for emissions standards?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 00:44:27 +0000
How did it come to pass that emissions standards are expressed as
relative amounts like % CO or "parts-per-million" HC?  I would think
that this unfairly punishes small-displacement engines.  If I put my
MG up against a new 5.0 litre (or bigger) engine, and they're both
idling at the same rpm, his readings would be lower, even
though he's probably throwing more total pollution into the air
because of the higher airflow through his exhaust pipe.
        Since pollution is measured as a percent of the airflow coming out
the tailpipe, has anyone come up with the idea of hooking up a pump
to draw in fresh air and inject it directly into the exhaust pipe to
dilute the exhaust?  I know that some factories have done something
similar to keep their ppm counts down.  Mix your pollution with
enough water before you dump it into the river, and you can satisfy
ANY ppm limit.
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner