Re: The Calling

To: Rick Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Subject: Re: The Calling
From: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:58:24 -0700
What does the personal automobile represent more than any thing
else?What has the automobile given us that our forefathers didn't have
to the extent we do?One thing...and that is FREEDOM!Before affordible
cars people were stuck in their neighborhoods or stuck riding the
trolley to town My grandmother didn't travel more than 20 miles from her
home until she was in her 50s.The one thing that has allowed our freedom
to go where we want and when we want is the car.Try going grocery
shopping for a family of 6 on the bus!Now that said I really feel there
is an effort to get the average guy out of his car it is being done
slowly but the indicators are apparent.In the 50s cars were king every
red blooded american kid was car crazy and he wanted a car in the worst
way Today it seems that cars aren't that important to the kids I have 2
teenage sons and the aren't drooling over cars like I was though my 17
yr old does like going to LBC meets with me,so if we have a generation
of people who don't have a lot of interest in cars how long will it be
until the usage of cars will diminish?If "they" had tried to enforce the
stupid laws described on this list 40 years ago we would have revolted!
to have the "priviledge" of driving our cars He would be amazed and
probably think you were talking about Russia!I think the time will come
where owning a private car will be only for the rich and the rest of us
will be telecommuting or riding Ze People's system and sadly we won't
care because if you take your car out you are a bad citizen polluting
the air robbing Mother Earth of our resourses all it will take is a
shift in how the public sees cars and we will be on our way out!If you
don't think so look at the way smokers are looked apon today they are
the pariahs of society and now smoking isn't cool except to teenagers.So
go out drive down that road and have a blast because in not too many
years you won't be able to do it(if Gore gets in in 2000 sooner than you
think)Stroe up those memories because at least they won't be able to
steal those from us.
Pat