Re: The Calling and alcohol

To: Steve Miller <kteacher@pe.net>
Subject: Re: The Calling and alcohol
From: Len Bugel <bugel@bianca.sms.k12.vt.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:23:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Steve Miller wrote:

> While discussing the future of petroleum as a diminishing resource as
> well as a source of pollution no one has mentioned ethanol. I've heard it
> is a standard fuel in Brazil. Does anybody know anything about using it
> as a motor fuel? It is already a component in California gas and since it
> can be made by fermentation of most carbohydrates it should never run
> out. Any comments?
> Steve Miller
> 74MGB et al

        Brazil has had a successful ethanol program for at least 20 years;
the key is their climate - ideal for raising sugar cane. Ethanol
production from cane is much more efficient than from grain crops such as
corn. The cane is crushed and the juice squeezed out. The juice is
directly fermmentable into alcohol, and the 'bagasse' (the remaining dry
portion of the cane) can be burned as fuel for the still. By contrast,
grains are not directly fermentable like sugar - the starch must first be
converted in some way (malting, enzyme treatment), and there iss
relatively less carbohydrate than in cane.

Len Bugel
'51 TD
'57 MGA