Re: Bleeding Brakes

To: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Subject: Re: Bleeding Brakes
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:53:28 -0500
karim.marouf@cancom.com wrote:

> I've had no luck using the MightyVac, nor with any of the cheaper one-man
> bleeders. I have heard that some of the more expensive pressurized bleeders
> work quite well.
>
> Karim
> '67 B-GT

I've used a MightyVac with good results bleeding both the brakes and
clutch on my '79.  It took a little learning to find out that there was
some air getting in around the threads when the valve was loosened.  So
I removed the bleeders and used some teflon tape on the threads to seal
them.  The bleeding worked very well.  In fact, so well that I emptied
the master cylinder which put air in the lines again and I had to start
all over.  I have found that you can speed the bleeding process if you
use an assistant to pump the pedal while you manipulate the vacuum pump,
but it works well enough doing it alone.

YMMV

Wayne Kube