Re: This grinding is driving me NUTS!!

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com
Subject: Re: This grinding is driving me NUTS!!
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 08:47:49 -0400 (EDT)

<< I assume the grinding only occurs when you try to shift into 1st?

 Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
 '61 MGA 1600 MkII

Larry,

Yes, typically only in 1st gear.  I have had occasions when it would grind
when downshifting into 2nd, but rare.  When it grinds when putting it into
1st, it (the gear) seems just keep turning.  Then when I pull the clutch out
and then back in, it (sometimes) will finally stop, like it should.  This
never happens when the car is cold i.e. the first 15 to 20 minutes of
driving, but when the car is fully warm and the gear oil is less viscous, if
that has anything to do with it.  According to some of the comments that I
have recieved, this is common with other people's cars.  Some have mentioned
shifting into 2nd first, then trying to slip it into 1st gear.  I'll be
taking it out this morning and will give that a try.

Scott Helms
http://members.aol.com/trmgafun/index.html
http://www.cris.com/~jamiep/BCW.htm   (BCW in caps)

Scott