RE: A 57 A question

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: A 57 A question
From: Patti & John Morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 16:23:57 -0500
My '57 A has an older factory tonneau cover that follows the pattern =
Clausager shows to be used from late '58 or '59. It uses 6 lift-o-dots =
and the 2 turn button fasteners on the back and 6 lift-o-dots over the =
dash. He shows the earlier type to have 3 lift-o-dots on each door, 8 =
over the dash and 6 at the rear plus the 2 turn button fasteners.

On mine, the front studs are located 1/2" forward of the cockpit trim. =
Starting at the center (where the mirror is) the first stud is 3 1/2" =
then the next is 14" (right next to the grab handle). The third is =
located about 2 1/2" diagonally from the grab handle and about 1" above =
the door opening. The opposite side is the same. These front studs are =
the type with a flange that use 2 small scews to mount.

 At the rear the studs are located 1/2" aft of the cockpit trim and =
spaced 7 3/4" apart. These are all the type that have a machine screw =
stud and nut. The 2 turn button fasteners are also used to fasten down =
the corners of the hood (top).

I think the tonneaus were dealer installed and the locations and type of =
studs probably varied. The exact locations would vary depending on how =
the tonneau is made...so don't run out and mount your studs to the =
locations given above before you check out the tonneau.  My over 1500 =
had the studs on the door tops...kept hitting my elbows on the studs. =
Hated that. They were located far enough out so the bottom egde of the =
fabric-covered, flip out side curtains didn't hit them. Not having studs =
on the doors has never been any sort of problem.=20

hope that helps!

John