The incredible shrinking top

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The incredible shrinking top
From: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 09:30:12 -0500
Hello All,

The '71 B I just acquired has a pretty decent quality vinyl top in good
condition. Two problems:

problem #1: It hasn't been latched (at the header or at the "lift-the-dot"
fasteners at the rear) in several years and seems to have shrunk. This
morning, I pulled several muscles I never knew I had latching it. Is there
a fix for this? I thought that latching it properly and then leaving it in
the sun for a couple of days might help, but at this point I'm skeptical.

Problem #2: the top is "textured" and even after several thourough (sp?)
washings, with the usual car washing soap, there is still dirt/gook/slime
holding fast in the "valleys" created by the texture. Anyone have good luck
with specific cleaners?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alan Lott
GTA Dept of RSE
Auburn University

'71 MGB (rolling restoration)

"Diplomacy is the ability to let other peolple have things your way."