Re: UPS and LBC parts

To: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: UPS and LBC parts
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 00:11:24 -0400
patrick bailey wrote:

> > Sorry, but it's difficult to be "sympathetic" to someone who's making
> > $50,000 a year plus another $20,000 in beneffits, and walks off the job.
>
> (rant mode ON)
>
> >  What is at issue from what I can get is the poor slobs that work
> >from12 midnight to 3AM for a
> > lousy $24!also the fact that if UPS can REPLACE the good people with  the
>part time help they
> > won't be making the $50,000 + benefits!The part-timers CAN'T strike.
>>I'll bet if I called you at
> > 2AM to come get me in my car because I lost my keys you would charge
> >a hell of a lot more than $24 IF you would drag your butt out of bed!

$125 to come out and open it at 2 AM, but don't forget, I've already
worked all day.

Oh.  That's right.  You _lost_ your keys.  Make that $160 and up
depending on the kind of car.

There are four pages of locksmiths in the phone book.  People can call
any one they want.  If they can get a guy to come out for $24, more
power to 'em.  I get to stay in bed.  If they call him first, even
better.  They won't be waking me up in the middle of the night for
nothing, (which happen quite often).

The reason I can _get_ $125 sometimes is because no one else is
answering their phone.  This in and of itself makes me a valuable
commodity. ;)

OTOH, It's not hard to find someone who can load/drive a truck.  (Sorry,
to sound so callous, but that's life.)  If UPS can fill the position
with a dependable, competant worker for $ 8 an hour, why shouldn't they?
Just like, if someone can get their car opened at 2 AM for $24 instead
of paying me $125, why shouldn't they?

And BTW - Since _I_ own the business (bills and all), at the end of the
year, after all business expences have been paid (a lot more than you
think), out of every dollar the business grossed I keep about fifty four
cents... _before_ personal taxes.

> > Sorry to rant but I'm getting sick and tired of these
> > effette attacks on the hard working union members
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oxi-moron.
Sorry, just kidding.  Couldn't resist.  ;)

>> while ignoring the fact that UPS made 1.6
> > BILLION in profits last year

That's what business' (well run ones) do.  They make a proffit.  If they
don't make a profit, the workers still get paid.  (They just don't
_keep_ thier jobs very long.)

>>and only pays their part timers a lousy $8 an hour at that ungodly
> > hour!

The example you keep mentioning is by no means the norm.  UPS also has
part time workers making $30,000 and up a year.

I'll bet if they put an ad in the paper, offering these jobs, the
application line would be a block long.

>>Have you seen a UPS guy work? He is running all day long!How many of you
>would work that
> > hard?

I've done it...  _for a lot less_.   Did I once say that I begrudge UPS
drivers making the kind of money they do?  No.  I just think that
ANYBODY who makes fifty grand a year has a lot of nerve to walk off a
job that _many_ would give their right nu... arm for. (The exception
being unsafe working conditions)

 They are extremely fortunate to have such a well paying job.  They
_should_ be thanking God alright, but not for the unions.  They should
be thanking God for giving them such a good job.

> Pat (work union,live better)

Bobby   ( Own a business.  Live on the edge.)

--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *