RE: opinion on new mg now kindred spirit and how we apparently stand

To: "Jurgen Hartwig" <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>,
Subject: RE: opinion on new mg now kindred spirit and how we apparently stand
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 97 19:27:47 UT
I get waves driving my jeep wrangler - it's a kindred spirit type of thing -
sure you can get a RAV4 or other rice burning 4X4 or you can join the pick up
crowd (unless you're into country music and then I can understand cause it's
an image thing I still don't get that as daily transport!! -) or you can even
get one of those luxury $60,000 "luxury" sport utility jobs (like to see one
of them on the dirt trails!!!) but getting a wrangler or CJ and waving to one
another is often like laughing at the others - you know that for off road use
you have one of the best and have spent the least - it also comes with 50
years worth of history.  I think other marquees capture this as well including
our MGs.  I get all kinds of people waving at me when I'm tooling around in
one of the gaggle - but will agree (duh!) that it seems mostly to come from
those who appreciate cars.  I hear that Saturn owners want to wave to one
another as they pass by but are too embarrassed to do so.

Here's an interesting ditty.  I went out to get lunch at the local lunch stand
yesterday (cheap burgers/dogs - you know the place) with the 69 Beater and was
outside waiting in line with about five people to place my order for a couple
of dogs.  A seventh person arrived about 2 minutes later and went to the end
of the line.  About a minute later he pipes up and says to me "hey, I really
like your MG - what year is that?"  Well I went into the nice guy MG routine
and answered all his questions but after a while I had dogs in hand and was
ready to head back home to chow down, so I excused myself and went on my way.
What's weird is that I cannot think how this guy knew that the MG belonged to
me.  He pulled up well after I did and I was not discussing the car with
anyone when he did arrive.  I was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt and the MG
logo tattoo on my forehead was covered by my hat.  But he knew (or guessed)
that the car belonged to me!  I'm thinking that maybe we're all beginning to
look funny or something.

Dr. Doug
An apparently obvious gaggle of 69 MGs regardless of where they are.