Re: Z-S Carb Tuning & Manifold Modification

To: Rich Peterson <Rich_and_Kerry@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Z-S Carb Tuning & Manifold Modification
From: "Craig H. Brallier" <brallier@twd.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:03:20 -0700
Rich Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been lurking for the past few weeks, having recently aquired my
> brother's '77 MGB.  He got tired of tinkering and passed it along to me.  I
> owned a different '77 MGB some years ago, but had to sell it during
> college, so I'm not completely new to LBCs - It's good to be back!!
>
> The car is basically sound, but has some bugs.  I've been able to work
> through most of them, but want to get some info on the Zenith carburator.
> I've been having problems getting the car to hold a steady idle.  I
> adjusted the mixture according to the procedure in the Haynes (I think)
> manual where you set everything to nominal, then lift up on the piston
> slightly to see if the engine speeds up or stumbles and adjust from there.
> Anyways, I think I've got it where it needs to be since the car idles
> smoothly, revs freely and has good power and acceleration.  THe problem
> comes after driving for a few minutes.  When I come to a traffic light, the
> engine idles at around 1700-1800 rpm for 10 seconds or so, then slowly
> decreases until it stalls (or until I goose the throttle). FWIW I've
> 'detoxed' the engine (with the exception of soldering the valve on the
> throttle butterfly closed) and fixed all the vacuum leaks in the system.
>
> Second question - assuming I can't get the Z-S tuned right, I'm going to
> put a weber on the car.  My question is:  has anyone ever 'cut' the intake
> section out of the stock ('75-'80) manifold assembly?  Seems like this
> would allow sufficient room to add the weber intake manifold with out
> having to change the exhaust header and exhaust system.
>
> For the purists, I've preserved all the original bits and pieces so I can
> return the car to original if I decide to completely restore it, but am
> currently more interested in a fun daily driver.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rich Peterson - 102632,1453@compuserve.com

Rich,
I am in the same quandry with my 75 B.  Replace the Z-S or not.  2 weeks
ago at the Roadster Factory Summer Party I saw a B with the stock
intake/exhaust manifold cut like you suggested.  The Weber intake
manifold fit like it belonged there.  Had to look real close to see how
it was done.
Maybe I am a glutton for punishment but I would rather keep the Z-S.  I
found an ad for new Z-S's for $150 that were the end of run carbs from
TR8's.  I can have my carb rebuilt for $150, do it myself for the cost of
the kit or buy one of the new ones.  Any suggestions from the list?  I've
never rebuilt one of these before.  Any idea whether the new carbs would
bolt right on or need any mods, such as metering needle, etc?  What
questions should I ask?

Any help appreciated,

Craig
75 B