Re: Overheating

To: garyb@pentek.com
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 09:13:24 -0500 (CDT)
Gary Burrell writes:

> Any ideas what to look for.  I've never had a problem when I was back
> in Nova Scotia.  The coolent is full, the water passages should be
> good as the engine was rebuilt and hot tanked about 4 years ago, and
> had a new water pump then.  The rad is about 6 years old and
> has been flushed a couple of times but not in the last year.  I'm going
> to try new coolent with a 70% (maximum) mix and the Red Line
> Water Wetter, and a new thermistat in case mine is only partually
> opening. Any other ideas

Please note that plain water will wick away more heat from your block
than coolant.  The coolant really only serves as a temperature limiter,
anti-corrosive, and water pump lubricant.  This info gleaned from
several reputable sources, none of which I can either locate or
remember...

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer running XX% water/ XX% coolant (toss a coin)