Overheating

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overheating
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:37:44 +0000
> I replaced the water pump and cylinder head gasket on my 'B this weekend.
>  Now I can;t drive 5 miles down the highway without the temp needle
>  pegging out.
>
>  I'm at a complete loss.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thomas James Pokrefke, III
> 1970 MGB

Well, first things first.  DON'T LET THE TEMP NEEDLE PEG OUT !!!!.
Do that too many times, and you may be replacing a lot more than the
water pump and head gasket.
        I would take the belt off of the water pump and see if it spins
freely when it's installed in the block.
        Did you compare the old head gasket to the new one?  Any
missing/extra holes?  Did you have to scrape off the old gasket?  If
so, a chunk of gasket material could have blocked a water passage.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner