Overheating

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Overheating
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:38:22 -0400
Well, I brought my MGB down here to NJ, and now with all this hot
weather, I'm worring about it overheating it overheating.  It has a
180 degree thermistat and normaly runs about 190-195, but in these
95 degree tempatures if I get stopped the tempature climbs rapidly.
On the highway in 95 degree heat it might get a little over 200 but
if I'm travelling off the highway by the 3rd or 4th red light I'm
hitting
210 and climbing.  (I hit 230 at the tolls on the Mass turnpike coming
down here but droped to 200 once I got moving again, although I was
worried for a while).

Any ideas what to look for.  I've never had a problem when I was back
in Nova Scotia.  The coolent is full, the water passages should be
good as the engine was rebuilt and hot tanked about 4 years ago, and
had a new water pump then.  The rad is about 6 years old and
has been flushed a couple of times but not in the last year.  I'm going
to try new coolent with a 70% (maximum) mix and the Red Line
Water Wetter, and a new thermistat in case mine is only partually
opening. Any other ideas

Thanks

Gary Burrell
--