innovations

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: innovations
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:25:15 +0000
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:38:03 -0500 (CDT)
> From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
> Subject: Re: More from the lighter side of: Opinion on new MG
>
> Trevor,
> I read your rambling with interest until the very end and then find out
> you are entirely void of auto manufacturing knownlege. Any fool knows
> that Ford made the yyyy and that it was years before CHEVY's xxxx was
> even a twinkle in one of their engineer's eyes. Geezs at least get the
> facts straight :-) Safety Fast, David Deutsch

David,
        I had to laugh when I read your post.  A few years ago, Car Craft
magazine published a timeline showing innovations that Ford and Chevy
both used, and who used them first/longest/etc.  I can't remember any
of them, except that Ford was the first and last to use Holley
four-barrel carbs.  Not that that means anything, it's just the only
thing I remember.
        I think it was the same article that talked about the VERY early
years of automotive design.  It said that there was an agreement
between all of the big automakers that any innovation would be the
inventor's sole domain for 12 or 18 months.  After that, everybody
got to copy it.  That's probably why no one has a patent on
shocks or turn signals.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com