Re: Taking the Plunge

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Taking the Plunge
From: G Graham <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:03:08 -0400
Scott Gardner wrote:

> but I'll give you some free advice,
>         Decide before you buy the car if you want rubber or chrome bumpers,
> regular or overdrive transmission, and wire or Rostyle wheels.  These
> are the three things that are hardest to change later. (and GT vs.
> convertible, of course.)
>         Look and see how much of the original parts are left, especially the
>carbs and pollution control.  If you have to pass a visual
> inspection, these parts can be expensive/hard-to-find later.  A stock
> dual SU carb setup, from the air filters to the manifold, costs about
> $900 new.

Scott:

The car in question is a '74 B conv. with chrome bumpers, :) , no
overdrive :|, and steel wheels, :) (had wires with my 'Beamer & started
to give me trouble).

The pollution control stuff is (so far) of lesser importance here in
Michigan (yea, lobbyists!).

There is no radio (!) and the ignition switch has had some problems
(steering wheel lock works ok). The top is fairly new & interior is in
good shape.

The rust that I know about is a few bubbles in the paint on the driver's
side rocker panel. Doesn't seem to have migrated south too far . . .

Thanks for your response!

Gary A. Graham
(almost) '74 B
1993 IW