RE: What would I build?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: What would I build?
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:43:26 -0700
On Tuesday or Wednesday (I don't know which, since I am a confirmed
Digester), Kelvin Dodd asked what sort of MGB I would build using a
generic 68-80 bodyshell and having free reign of the BL parts bin.
Well, here goes...

First of all, mine would be a GT bodyshell.  HORRORS, you cry...well
I've driven roadsters and I end up peering around the top of the
windscreen and my eyeballs dry out after about 5 miles, so I prefer the
GT body for long distance cruising.  Put in a Webasto or Britax sliding
sunroof if you want the "open car" feel.

Engine and powertrain, a 3.5L Rover V-8 and Rover 5-speed trans (You did
say we could raid the BL parts bins!).  Rear axle from an MGC at 3.07:1.
Go with the late Land Rover fuel injection for best mileage and
flexibility, but if you want the easiest conversion use the MGB-GT V-8
style twin SUs.

Suspension, drop the $2200 plus shipping and buy the Brown and Gammons
RV-8 front suspension crossmember with the coilover shocks, ball joints,
and 4-pot calipers with vented discs.  For the rear, get a set of Doug
Jackson carbon fibre single leaf springs and a Spax conversion (OK, the
last 2 aren't BL/RoverGroup, but sue me!)

Interior, a 1977-80 dash, but use the earlier style gauges with chrome
surrounds. Use 1973-76 style GT seats with the full fabric faces, cool
in summer and warm in winter.  Do away with the rear seat and fabricate
a full length cargo floor (or if you are a loutish youth, use the space
you've gained by deleting the rear seat for those kicker box speakers
from your killer stereo).  Use the late GT tinted windows all around,
with the heated rear window.  Upgrade to full Wilton carpets, and do the
interior in light grey.

Exterior,  CHROME BUMPER ONLY, with the 1973-74 black honeycomb grille.
Use the late blacked out wiper blades and arms. And the color? Black
Tulip!  Striking but understated. And don't forget the MG Car Club badge
on the grille.

Well, that's it.  Let the flames begin!

Cheers, PK (Confirmed Boot Bigot)