Re: Jap=Ripoff?

To: gardner@lwcomm.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Jap=Ripoff?
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 18:02:24 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-21 03:29:40 EDT, gardner@lwcomm.com (Scott Gardner)
writes:

<< I defy you to find a single car that was developed in a vacuum.
 Elements of any car can be found in earlier cars, the only
 difference is how public the automaker is about admitting it.  Not
 that I think it's necessarily a bad thing.  I dont' want to deal
 with an automaker that tries to totally re-invent the automobile with
 every new model they build.
        I think that the Japanese have given us a lot of improvements in
 terms of safety, reliability and fuel efficiency.  And for the rest
 of the sour grapes, you have to ask yourself who's still selling cars
 in LARGE numbers, and who isn't?
   It's kind of like Bill Gates.  Everybody likes to bash him, but
 with $35 billion, he must be doing something right.  With the sales
 figures Japanese car companies have, they might be somewhere on the
 right track.  As for the Miata being an MG knockoff (Not that you
 said it, Ray, but others have.)  Where was the MGB when Mazda
 released the Miata?  I think that a Miata is about as close to the
 essence of an MGB as you're going to get, while still keeping in all
 the federally-mandated bells and whistles, as well as the level of
 reliability most people have come to expect.  I think the fact that
 they're still selling so well after nine years with the same body
 should tell you something.
        Don't get me wrong, I love my MGB, but I don't think automotive
 design had its birth in England, nor do I think it ended in 1980.
 Scott
 Scott Gardner
 gardner@lwcomm.com
 www.lwcomm.com/~gardner

 -  >>
Scott,
 You are correct in the statement that no car has been developed in a vacuum.
 But my observation still stands: the Miata is nothing more than  a
replica/repro of the Lotus Elan.  Yes, it's updated (it couldn't be sold
otherwise), and yes, it's a neat little car.  BUT.....MG's tried hard to make
large improvements throughout the companies' existence; in short, no looking
back.  The Miata is a redo of a 60's car.
As for the grapes.... I enjoy mine and drive it often (well, before the B
kneecapped me....)  It does most things well, but it's not a ground breaker.
The Japanese auto makers are generally very conservative in their design
changes.  This has served them well for the most part.  The fact that the
Miata is selling well with the same body says a lot about the original
Lotus......
Don't know Bill Gates...like his house, though.
I don't say that auto design began and ended in GB.  By 1980, you must
remember that the B design was 20 years old.....unheard of as far as sports
cars are concerned.
Time passed the B by because of short sightedness on the part of several
people....now the F is here, and the F IS the spirit of the MG.
Safety Fast!

Regards,         Ray