Re: Jap=Ripoff?

To: MG Mavens <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Jap=Ripoff?
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
Date: 22 Aug 1997 09:02:55 -0500
Spook37211@aol.com writes:
> But my observation still stands: the Miata is nothing more than a
> replica/repro of the Lotus Elan.

Eh?  It's ~ 20% wider, 40% heavier, has unitized construction (Elan
had backbone chassis), upper/lower a-arm rear suspension (Elan had
lower a-arm, chapman strut), steel bodied (Elan was fiberglass).  Even
the proportions of L:W:H are no closer to an Elan than they are to an
MGB.

I admit, I see a faint resemblance in styling, but that's where it
ends.  What ground can you stand on to call this thing an Elan
replica?  If I were an Elan fan and bought it thinking that's what I'd
get, I'd be pretty pissed off when it arrived.

--
:      Matt Liggett <mliggett@pobox.com>      :           1960 Mini          :
:        Hacker, Telecommuter, Car Nut        :        1970 MG Midget        :