Re: Electronic Fuel Pump

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Electronic Fuel Pump
From: Don Mathis <donmathis@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:45:43 -0400 (EDT)
>> >The instructions also say to position the pump so that the output end is
>> >uppermost.  I hate to ask, but is that necessary?  If so, I'll have crawl
>> >back under and reposition the bloody thing.
>>
>> I found a place on the firewall.  It works.  The output end is not
>> "uppermost".
>
>Huh? Mounted the fuel pump on the firewall? Under the hood?
>
>It's you car and your money but electric pumps work a lot better the closer
they
>are to the input soruce. That is, the can push fuel a lot better than they can
>pull it. It'll either work fine or you'll have a lot of "vapor lock" type
>problems. Also, you'll have to be more cognizant of fuel pressure ratings with
>the pump that close to the carbs.

Good point.  The problem is that the original SU fuel pumps were mounted on
the firewall.  I'm re-building them and will replace them.  I'll then put
this modern pump down on the frame near the fuel tank as you suggest.  The
present modern pump on the firewall is just temporary and allows me to drive
it out into the driveway so I can clean the car, etc.

>--
>Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
>"If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still
>wrong?"

Don Mathis,Ph.D.
donmathis@lucent.com
'61 MGA