Re: MGB Door cap dimensions

To: schauss@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: MGB Door cap dimensions
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:26:26 EDT
On Sun, 24 Aug 1997 20:45:16 +0000 Peter Schauss
<schauss@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>Can someone give me the dimensions of the door cap (Moss part #
>639-608)
>for an '80 MG?  This is the vinyl covered piece of wood which goes
>along
>the top of the door on the inside.
>
>Given the price Moss wants for this part, it looks like
>I could make one of these myself.
>
>As some of you might suspect, I just got my 'B back from the paint
>shop.

>After 8 months of work in my garage (replacing floors, sills and
>rocker
>panels) and almost 6 months at the body shop being stripped and
>painted,
>the car looks fantastic, well worth the effort and the wait.  Now I
>need to put the interior in and get it inspected.
>
>Peter Schauss
>1963 BJ7
>1980 MGB
  Peter,
  I did the same thing on my BGT a couple of years ago, but left the wood
uncovered.
 Made the pieces from a section of 1 X 3  Red Oak. Rough cut the pattern
(Traced from the original) and then using a variety of sanding devices
(from belt through pad to hand) finished the shape. Because of the shape
of the rear (next to door), I glued a section of 1/2" hardwood to the
upper, inner side then shaped it to match the original. Finished the
whole thing with 4 coats of exterior grade light mahogany stain followed
by 3 coats of exterior clear polyurethene.  Still looks great after about
4 1/2 years of daily use.
  Now that I've bragged about my prowness with wood, to answer your
question.  I don't have the exact measurments here, but I'll check when I
get home and give you what I've got.
 Discalimer!  I'm fairly certain that the roadster and GT deminsions
would be the same, but double check to be sure.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget