Loctite on con rod bolts?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Loctite on con rod bolts?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 01:19:12 +0000
>    John don't use locktight on your rod bolts or main caps the only thing you
> should use on these are oil or antisze coumpound. locktight will make your
> torque readings off causing rod bolt stretch.
>                                                                        Ric
> Worby
>                                                                        B&R
> MOTORSPORTS

Ric,
        I don't know about whether or not to use loctite on con rod bolts,
but if there WERE a problem, wouldn't it be that the extra friction
from the loctite would cause the torque wrench to read HIGHER than
if no loctite were used, thus resulting in too-loose bolts?  I don't
see any way that you could end up with rod bolt stretching.
        Personally, the loctite I've used on smaller bolts (loctite red) his
about the consistency of oil or thin nail polish, so I really don't
see the problem with using it.  The tolerance of your torque wrench,
the condition of your threads, and the phase of the moon would
probably have more to do with the final applied torque than a light
coat of loctite.
Scott