RE: Electric A/C system?

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: RE: Electric A/C system?
From: "Jacques Dupuis" <JDMG@classic.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 97 01:17:02 UT
Being an RV"er (and a MGB loyalist), I have never heard of an Electric A/C
system used in in a vehicule. The A/C system seen on top of RV"s are 120 Volts
operated when stationnary.
If an engine driven A/C system requires say 4HP to run a compressor, the same
4HP (electric power) would be required. This would require a fairly large
electric Motor with a very large amp demand. I do not think any current 12V
system could take this for very long. If my calculations are right (I know
there are electrical engineers around that could (and will, if I goofed)
destroy my theory) such an electric motor would require  350 Amps to start and
about 125 amps to run. Not many alternator can sustain that output for long.
JDMG@msn.com
Jacques
"74 B (Chrome) no A/C but top down year round