Re: Electric A/C system?

To: gardner@lwcomm.com, JDMG@classic.msn.com
Subject: Re: Electric A/C system?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 16:56:44 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-27 16:39:06 EDT, gardner@lwcomm.com (Scott Gardner)
writes:

>  So unless some
>  kind of inverter/transformer setup is involved to raise the voltge
>  and drop the amps, ...

Scott:

This won't help! The governing equation for an inverter is [power out equals
power in minus losses]. Ignoring losses for simplicity sake, for 3000 watts
out, you must have 3000 watts in, which is right back to 250 amps. i.e. 12V X
250A = 120V X 25A.

Evidently, the electrically driven A/C units are efficient enough that they
consume around 1/2 horsepower or less, which is the equivalent of 31 amps - a
much more reasonable number. From this, I would assume that the mechanical
driven compressors have about the same efficiency, and would drain about 1/2
HP or less from the engine. If so, I'm impressed!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74