Re: Gluing carpet to the gearbox cover

To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
Subject: Re: Gluing carpet to the gearbox cover
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:15:41 EDT
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:59:30 -0400 ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss
x 2014) writes:
>The carpet set which I got for my MGB has a separate jute pad to
>go under the section which covers the gearbox tunnel.  What is
>the best way to install this?  Should I glue the pad to the tunnel and
>then
>glue the carpet to the pad or glue the carpet and pad together first
>outside of the car and then glue them both in place?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter Schauss

Only use the jute pad if the original tunnel cover is completely useless
(the originals hold up waaaayyy better than the after market ones and are
easier to glue to)
flatten the pad and glue the carpet to it while it is flat - then when
you form it to the tunnel there will be no wrinkles.install over the
tunnel without adhesive, firstly if you try to glue it its a bugger to
fit since it needs a lot of jiggling to get it right, secondly, it can
then "float" - again avoiding any possible wrinkles

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster