Fast MG's

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fast MG's
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:10:28 -0500
Lindsay's remark about driving MG's fast got me thinking.  I seldom drive
the MG that fast but the sensation of speed is definitely there.  I think
that this is one of the endearing features of these old cars and, for me,
the eternal quest is finding the perfect balance between the feeling of
speed and useability on today's roads.  The MGA seem to approach that
balance better than any other car that I have owned lately.  If you prefer
a little more useability- go to a B.  If more involvement is the answer, go
older or smaller.  If you want to feel like you are risking you life every
time a wheel is turned, buy a Tri**ph ;-)

I wonder where the F fits on the thrill / comfort continuum (sp?).  Or how
about the Mi**a?  I expect that for most of us, these devices are just too
damn civilised for proper sporting motoring.  Then someone will say that
they can take a 30 mph corner at 90 in their (insert name of modern
supercar here) and in response I would say that this is just the point!  I
can provoke a 2 wheel drift in my car at 30 mph and have more fun than a
barrel full of supercars.  Every drive on the freeway is like I am
jockeying for position on the Mulsanne Straight.  New cars don't feel this
alive until you hit triple digits.  I can get all the thrills of fast
motoring and barely bend local speed laws.  If the supercar drivers don't
understand why I am smiling all the time when I drive the A, well they are
just going to have to figure it out for themselves.

So, should MG introduce a new car that drives like the A?  Don't be silly.
They couldn't sell them and every Automotive rag would lambaste the British
auto industry for their continuing ineptitude.  For better or worse, cars
like the A will never be built again so we should enjoy the ones we have.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA "street racer"