Re: master cylinder woes

To: jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: master cylinder woes
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:42:14 EDT
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 23:17:26 -0500 Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
writes:

>..... I guess a m.c. rebuild is in order. How do I tell if the mc must
be honed, or is this something that should always be done? Is it more
economical to replace the entire mc, or can I hone it, or should I have a
shop do it?

A rebuild kit is dirt cheap compared to the other options.  So, start by
stuffing in a rebuild kit, put it back together, and see if your leak
went away.

While you have it open, grab a bright inspection light and check down the
bore.  If it's nice and shiny all the way down, no problem.  If it has a
few skuff marks on the wall, it needs to be honed.  If it has pit marks
in the cylinder wall, it needs to be sleeved or replaced.

You can hone it yourself if you can find a hone small enough.  A small
hone is not very expensive.  Spin it with an electric drill.  Apply oil
liberally.  Clean the cylinder thoroughly after honing.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude