Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:42:13 EDT
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:44:11 -0400 Adrian Jones
<AdrianJones@compuserve.com> writes:

>..... When it gets to 3000rpm it just stays there,  despite me pushing
further on the gas pedal.  I have to ease off the gas when it reaches
3000rpm because I get terrible back-firing in the exhaust system - feels
like it's right under where I'm sitting (no jokes please!!)  When I ease
off the car runs just fine.  If I floor the gas pedal it still won't go
over 3000rpm.

Symptoms are dead on for a broken flex wire inside the dizzy.  At a
certain amount of vacuum advance the broken flex wire breaks the circuit.
 When you let off the gas the vacuum advance relaxes, and the flex wire
touches once again at the break, and completes the circuit so it fires
normally.

The dizzy has two of these flex wires.  One goes from the side terminal
to the contact points.  The other goes from the mounting plate for the
contact points to the housing, and may be underneath the plate.  You will
need to remove each wire from the dizzy, put an ohm meter or continuity
tester to the ends, and pull and flex the wire to see if it breaks the
circuit.

Betcha, betcha,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude