RE: How much oil in carburetter dampers?

To: "Eric R. Stephen" <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>,
Subject: RE: How much oil in carburetter dampers?
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 97 15:55:02 UT
Eric,

While opinions vary greatly regarding what substance to use in the damper, I
believe that there is consensus on how much (I can comment on an HS4 and HS6
SU in the B/C respectively).  There should be an area down the shaft where it
narrows to the width of the piston.  Fill it to just cover this area.  Other
than that it does not really matter because the damper will dispose of any
excess fluid through the tiny hole in the top of the piston cover when you
accelerate the engine (causing the damper to rise).

Now, any comments on what should be used (please, I've already heard how some
of you no longer use cat urine cause it's too hard to beat it out of the cat
without getting scratched)?

Dr. Doug
A garage full of 69 MGs where the owner is a known rabble rouser and chief
instigator.