Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 16:54:32 -0400
Adrian Jones wrote:

> >Both the crankshaft & cam sprokets are held in place by (quesstment)
> a one
> ounce KEY.  If it becomes dislodged, dented, fractured, etc. the
> timing
> will
> be affected BUT at idle you may not see it with a timing light.<
>
> Ed,

Two quick items.  Since the dwell meter didn't show any problems when
the engine broke up, I think we can assume that spark is not the problem
(you've changed the coil once already I believe).  That leaves fuel or
timing.

I would (with the engine idling) advance the timing by moving the
distributor about 30 degrees (distributor movement) and see if it mow
revs if so the advance mechanism is not working.  If no change is notice
bring the distibutor back to the original setting.

Next this vehicle has Z-S CD carb right?  Remove the cover and check the
diaphram for leaks (or rev the engine and watch the piston to see if it
moves all the way up).  If it is the problem may be fuel supply (I
suspect this since choking the engine seems to help)