Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:56:29 -0400
Adrian Jones wrote:

>         Thanks for the message.  Well, I can now get it to rev over
> 3500,
> in the garage at least, and also see the timing marks advance -  by
> richening the mixture.  Trouble is, it's still backfiring, etc on the
> road.
>  If I go more rich with the carbs, then there's black smoke out the
> pipe at
> idle.
>         It's got twin SU's.  No diaphram.  I've just gone back to the
> garage, started the beast up and  watched the pistons in the SU's go
> up and
> down yanking on the throttle cable - the action looks smooth, and they
> both
> go to the top.  I can get over 4000rpm, according to my dwell meter/
> rev
> counter in the garage, though I get a bunch of BLUE smoke out the
> exhaust.
> (I can also get BLACK smoke by richening the jets 3 flats).  If I go
> out
> for a drive it soon starts backfiring and no go over 3000rpm.  I
> suppose
> it's breaking down "under load"

My bet is fuel flow restriction.

1.    Bad pump
2.    Bad filter
3.    Bad fuel pick-up

I would guess that you can accellerate slowly up to what ever speed you
want but that you can not climb hills or accellerate quickly.  Had a van
that acted that way whenever the fuel filter started clogging.  Could
drive all day at 55 but would have to ease up on the gas when climbing
hills and slow down to 20 mph (downshifting while losing speed) if
pushed engine cut out and horrible backfires out the exhaust and the
carb.  Check fuel flow to the carbs.  Disconnect fuel line (after the
filter) and fill a container using the fuel pump.  Next check fuel
pressure.