Re: dwell meter settings

To: gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: Re: dwell meter settings
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 16:49:18 EDT
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:30:21 +0000 "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
writes:

>> At 01:42 pm 8/9/97 EDT, ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:
>> > Does anyone know how to calculate dwell settings for contact
>breaker
>> >gap, so we can set the gap more accurately than with feeler gauges?
>> > Thanks for the advice, in advance.
>> >Bob
>> >
>> For what it is worth the factory manual specifies the dwell at 51
>degrees
>> plus or minus 5 degrees for the MGB.  What's wrong with using that?
>>
>> Graham
>
>Along these lines, can anyone recommend a good dwell meter that will
>measure the 60 or so degrees that I'll need to tune a B engine?  I
>usually just use the tools at the Hobby shop on base, but for some
>reason, theirs only goes up to forty degrees or so.  Is 60 degrees
>really high dwell, or do they just have a cheap meter?
>
>Scott Gardner
>gardner@lwcomm.com
>www.lwcomm.com/~gardner

Scott,
  I'm assuming the particular dwell meter you have does not have a "4
cyl" setting,or scale.
  You can use the "8 cyl" setting/scale. Just double the meter reading.
Ie. If the meter shows 25 degrees, thats 50 degrees on a 4 cyl.
  Craftsman makes a very good dwell meter, as do most of the major tool
manufacturers.  Generally speaking, the name brand tools are pretty much
the same.
  Oh, when you go to buy one, don't get pulled in by the ones that will
check all the other electronic bells and whistles.  The MG ain't got'em.
Just stick with a simple tach/dwell meter.
  I'd recommend the brand I use, but believe it or not both of my meters
are USAF surplus!!!
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget