Re: dwell meter settings

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: dwell meter settings
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 13:20:24 -0500
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

>  Does anyone know how to calculate dwell settings for contact breaker
> gap, so we can set the gap more accurately than with feeler gauges?
>  Thanks for the advice, in advance.
> Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure I understand the question. Setting the dwell with a dwell meter is
the dynamic equivalent of setting the point gap with feeler gauges. My C/GT is
set around 35 and a four banger motor is, what, 60 degrees?

Remove the cap, ground the high tension lead, then hook up the dwell meter on
the distributor side of the coil (-) and ground. Use a remote starter switch and
spin the motor. The dwell meter will show how many degrees the points are closed
(or maybe open, I forget).

Just barely loosen the point's plate such that you can just lever the points
back and forth with a screwdriver in the little slot. Spin the motor again and
then twist the screwdriver to set the dwell angle to any value you like. Once
set to spec, when you now check the gap it will be remarkably close to the point
gap spec for the car.

I like a dwell meter as I think the setting will be more accurate than feeler
gauge -- I have a heard time figuring how tight the fit should be. Too tight and
you are measuring the spring tension of the point set.

You can also, while the car is idling, check the dwell with the meter. It's a
good way to see if the point gap has wavered off of spec.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"There is a difference, sometimes, between what is legal and what ought to be
done" -- Bill Clinton, March 7, 1997