Re: LBC Safety

To: kporter@unix.asb.com
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 20:22:38 EDT
Hi Kenneth,
  I mounted ordinary lap straps in the TD by using the bolts provided
with the kit and anchoring them behind the chassis cross member with a
robust plate of steel.  Other installations use a 1/4" chain looped
around the crossmember and the bolts run through the ends of the chain.
  Horst Schach in The Complete MG TD Restoration Manual has a section on
installation of 3-point harnesses.  It is very appealing to me, but I
haven't done it yet.
  With respect to the safety issue, one wonders if the lobotomy done to
the passenger in a T-Series MG because his body pivots and head strikes
the wiper motor is better or worse than sliding on his head down the
road.  The glove box pull centers perfectly on a child's forehead also.
  Has anyone moved the wiper motor to the center, as they were positioned
on TDs after December, 1952?
 Bob