Re: LBC Safety

To: bearlock@erols.com
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 14:23:56 EDT
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 14:00:25 -0400 Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
writes:
>Trevor Boicey wrote:
>>
>> Bob De Weese wrote:
>> > If I'm sitting at a light and I see a (insert huge vehicle of
>choice,
>> > here), bearing down in my rear view mirror, I think it would be a
>lot
>> > easier to "bail" if I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
>>
>>   Well, bailing is of limited use unless you can get far
>> away from the vehicle as well.
>

>"Fear" is an extremely inspirational motivator.
>

>>   Who wants to be standing 10 feet from the scene of a
>> tractor trailer destroying an MG? Might be safer in
>> the car.
>

>A tractor trailer?!   It would roll over a B like a speed-bump.
>

>> > barreling down I-95 and "shit happens" am I better off riding it
>out
>> > along with the car, or would I be better off getting "spit out"
>_before_
>> > the car hits the tree?.
>>
>>   I can't think of any situation where being airborne
>> at highway speed is better than... well... anything.
>
>On the contrary.  There have been many, many instances of accidents
>where eveyone involved was killed except those who were "thrown clear"
>Bobby
>-
  That's certainly true, Bob, but have there not been very many more
instances in which all those who were "thrown clear" were killed?
Problem that we have here is that we don't know the future far enough in
advance to take action that's appropriate. Most of us who wear the belts
think that we have the odds in our favor. No guarantees, of course, but
the odds are better.
Bob