Re: LBC Safety

To: G Graham <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>, Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 19:07:52 -0700
Just yesterday there was such an accident on Hwy 1 near lompoc calif, but
ther eis a major caveat here, the persons thrown clear were all in the back
of a van, and were thrown out the large side door when it spung open.

I question the likelily hood of being thrown clear in an LBC where one's
legs are well forward and under the dash.  I think it far morelikely that
your legs will break, and probably be torn off in any collision severe
enough to cause you to be thrown from the cockpit.  Sit in your LBC and
then think about the  possible trajectories out of the car... about the
only one I can see is up and backwards, and physics strongly suggets you'll
be thrown forward, not back, unless you happen to be driving at speed in
reverse.

Greg Kirk
Midget Mk1 with three point restraints.

At 03:40 PM 9/11/97 -0400, G Graham wrote:

>Bob De Weese wrote:
>
>> On the contrary.  There have been many, many instances of accidents
>> where eveyone involved was killed except those who were "thrown clear"
>>

>Bob,
>
>This "pseudo-fact" is simply statistically unsupportable. Can you cite *any*
>resource to back this up, or is it just one of those "well, all I know is
..."
>kind of statements? Please be careful of advice that jeopardizes lives.
>
>Sincerely concerned,
>Gary A. Graham

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
 I have spread my dreams under your feet;
 Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
                                  Yeats