Re: MGC Motors

To: MGDIGEST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGC Motors
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:56:00 +0100
In a message dated 97-09-10 23:42:25 EDT, boballen@sky.net writes:

> Meanwhile, I'll be busy trying to lever 600 pounds over the grille.

Those MGC engines make great ship anchors - whereas the MGB V8 engine is
lighter than the old 1.8 litre four. Don't believe all the hogwash about
the MGC producing "more" horsepwoer (145) than the MGB V8 (137) since
the two figures were measured in different ways. The best engine might
have been the ultra-rare all-alloy MGC GTS race engine, but in the real
world the all-alloy Rover/Buick/Oldsmobile makes the best sense.

Don't get me wrong - I like the purity of a straight six - one of the
theoretically best balanced engines possible in engineering terms - with
a glorious howl at high revs - but those pounds weigh heavy in the MGC.
I nearly bought an MGC - the "Autocar" road test car as it happens - but
I settled for an MGB and an MGB GT V8 instead.

David Knowles
1974 factory MGB GT V8
1980 MGB Roadster