Re: head gasket question

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: head gasket question
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:14:37 EDT
Hi Nory,
 Yes, change the filter with each oil change.
  Some of the filter makers claim that their filters have some sort of
acid neutralising additive in the paper. Maybe so, maybe no.  Paper
filters would tend to absorb and hold the water and anti-freeze mix. You
want to get all of the stuff out of the engine.
  Even after you have changed it twice, watch for a cafe-au-lait colored
cream on the oil. If you find that, there is still coolant in the water.
  Here's an example of bad advice from the past--the TD Drivers Handbook
advises to change the oil at ...whatever interval..., but tells us to
rinse the filter in solvent at alternate changes.  Now we realise that
was terrible advice, since doing that would loosen most of the abrasive
particles, but there is no assurance that they would all be got rid of.
Thus a large part of the grit would be freed to circulate through the
engine again.
Bob