Rebuilt MGA 1500 Follow-up

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Rebuilt MGA 1500 Follow-up
From: George Merryweather <georgem1@asiaonline.net.tw>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 06:50:24 +0800
Joe and all,=20

A few notes to follow-up....

Good idea on using the air compressor.

Assembly lubes, specifically Lubriplate (looks like white lithium), is =
typically pretty good stuff, however it is design to be used when you =
assemble an engine today, and then start it tomoorow.  It is not very =
good for some of our typical restorations, where we rebuild an engine =
today, and start it next year.  Lubriplate has the tendency to dry =
out/harden over time.  Not so good.  Use the black molybdenum based =
assembly lubes.  They seem to perform better after 'aging'.  They don't =
dry out.
I use a machine shop that is owned by a gentleman who used to race =
Sprites.  For those of you who were at NAMGAR GT-22 may have been to Bob =
Webbers' machine shop presentation.  Anyhow, he put me one to a custom =
blended miracle lube.  He calls it 'Owl S**t', as in, 'Slicker than....' =
 It is a complex formula of 50% STP and 50% engine oil.  He keeps it =
around in a readily available container with a lid, for dipping small =
parts into, and in one of those red squeezable ketchup bottles that they =
used to use at your favorite burger stand.  Easy to dispense, and not so =
easy to misplace.  O.S. works great!   Now O.S. is not to be used in =
place of an assembly lube on bearing surfaces, but on places like piston =
rings, rocker arms, and the like.

FWIW

G-