RE: Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???

To: MG mail list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:56:00 -0700 (PDT)
The swivels are bushed with pressed in brass sleeves. The brass bushings and
sometimes but rarely the kingpin wear. A kingpin set comes with new bushes
that you press into your swivel arms and ream with the proper reamer. If you
do not have the reamer you could send the kit and your swivel arms to a shop
that does have the proper reamer (they must be reamed with a special tool.
Individually reaming will result in different centerlines of the bores and
will cause premature wear. They'll last about a year and a half) or send it
off to a place like apple hydrolic. Another option would be to buy a swivel
arm/kinping preassembled set which has been reamed and setup with the proper
shims. So to answer your question, the swivels don't go bad unless they are
broken or have a damaged spindle? where the hub bearing rides. It's just a
matter of if you want to buy the parts and have it reamed, shimmed and lubed
or if you want to buy a set ready to bolt on.

Chris Reichle