Re: Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:28:30 EDT
On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 02:12:00 -0400 Nory@webtv.net (Nory) writes:
>AHA!  I'm glad somebody noticed this ('cause it never dawned on me) -
>I'm looking at the Sprite-Midget catalog, and Bob must be looking at
>the
>MGB catalog (silly me), but the price difference is quite unexpected!
>How come the Midget wishbone costs so much more than the MGB wishbone?
>Wouldn't you think they'd be close to the same price?
>
>-NORY
>Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found
>the
>ONLY problem.
>
> '74 Midget & '71 parts car
> '94 Ford Ranger
> '86 Ford Escort
> '89 Ford Probe
> '96 North American Shepherd
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/9101

Because of the method of construction.  The MGB "wishbone" is a three
piece, bolt together assembly made up of two "rails" (one front one rear)
and a spring pan.
The Midget,on the other hand, is a one piece stamped unit. Add to that
the kingpin fulcrum on the Midget is a threaded insert (machining costs)
where as the "B" fulcrum  is just two holes (lots less machining)