Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???

To: MG mail list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???
From: Mike Cousins <mike.cousins@wsnelson.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:09:51 -0500
Ok, the 77 mgb front end 'clunks' when you turn and hit the brakes.  I
know something is worn in the front end because I did the "jack it up -
put your hands at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and see if it moves" test,
and yes it does move.

My question is:  How do you know if your kingpins are bad or if the
swivel is bad ????  Does one wear out and not the other (softer steel on
the kingpin ?) Most places sell just the kingpins or complete swivel &
kingpin with correctly reamed bearings (more $$$$)  I'd like to save
some $ and just buy the kingpins, but I'd be wasting my time if the
swivels are bad. How do you know ?

Someone please give me some advice.

Cheers

Michael J. Cousins III