RE: Silicone Brake Fluid

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:57:27 -0400
barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord) wrote:

>I started using DOT 5 when I restored my car, having replaced the entire
>hydraulic system at the time, including the switch.
<SNIP>
>A few days ago I had to replace the switch after it quit working without
>any advanced warning (worked perfectly the day before).  That switch only
>lasted 11 years and 125,000 miles.  Should I be disappointed?

Uh, no.  I'm guessing that you're pulling my chain.  (S'okay, it needs a
tug every once in a while.)  <grin>

OTOH, I've known folks running silicone who had to replace 3 switches over
the course of a summer, then went back to Castrol with no problems.  Go
figure.  Maybe there's a difference between the MGA and MGB switches that
matters?

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net
'77 Midget (mechanical brake light switch)
'93 Saturn (Who knows?  I let the dealer deal with it.)