RE: The truth about wire wheels

To: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>,
Subject: RE: The truth about wire wheels
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:12:41 -0700
I have never even DRIVEN an MG that doesn't have wire wheels.  I have done
thousand mile trips driving 10 hours a day.  I have gone to get bagels on
sunday mornings countless times, and have gone back and forth to work many
more times than that.  I have never had a problem with a wire wheel.  Take
care of your wires and they'll take care of you.

At 02:09 PM 9/17/97 UT, doug russell wrote:

> [...]
Truth
>be told, the above is unlikely to happen because prior to all this tragedy
you
>will find yourself puzzled while still in your driveway.  You see, the
moment
>you let your foot off the clutch in first gear, you will hear a zipper like
>grinding noise again but this time from the rear.  This will be the splined
>hub spinning freely within the wheel spline.
>
>The moral here Mike is to make sure you inspect the spokes and the wheel
>splines.  Equally important, check the hub splines.  When both are in good
>condition you can expect many miles of trouble free motoring provided
there is
>no significant abuse (hole shots, curbs ...).  The splines should all have
>nice sharp edges.  When you put the wheel on the car **do not
overtighten** (I
>believe it's hand tighten then 1/2 turn although my recollection here
could be
>faulty) and then check to make sure the wheel is solid with a good 6/12 and
>then 3/9 back/forth (in/out?) jerk (this checks to make sure spokes are not
>loose or spline too worn!)
>
>What is the average cost of having these babies tuned
>and trued?
>
>Comment>  Never had them sent out but a recent post suggested that British
>Wire Wheel charges $130 per to do a complete (like new?) rebuild.  Be
careful
>who you have mount and balance tires on these babies.  Make sure you are
>convinced that they have some experience with wires - otherwise they could
>damage your wheels and not balance properly.  I'm sure others will have a
lot
>of suggestions on this from DIY to whatever - I use a service station
locally
>that's been around since the 50's (cost per wheel for mount/balance $6) -
you
>do what's comfortable and affordable for you.
>
>Any facts about these prolific rims would be appreciated.
>
>Comment>  Has nothing to do with facts and everything to do with soul - glad
>to see you're getting some!
>
>Dr. Doug
>A group of 69 MGs in my garage - all wired with soul!
>

>--
>Michael S. Lishego
>St. Andrews Presbyterian College
>Elementary Education Major,