longest distance?

To: dresden@star.net
Subject: longest distance?
From: deboer@pacbell.net
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:04:52 -0700
dresden@star.net wrote:

> >On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:45:06 -0700 pat bailey <pbailey@qnet.com> writes:
> >>robert williford wrote:
> >>>
> >> they were in absolute awe that I had driven
> >the Midget that far (with the top down, naturally).  Seems the longest
> >"trip" anyone of them had made in their car was a tour to the beach
> >earlier that summer, the mind boggleing distance of 37 miles one way.
> >

> OK, here's a new useless thread idea...who's done the longest trip in a
> BL/BMC made car? (My longest about 1850 miles, between St.Pete FL and
> Bangor Maine, three times, in a Spitfire,

Let me raise the bar a little. July 1994.  6380 miles in a 1949 RHD MG Y
tourer. San Francicsco Bay area to Nebraska, north to North Dakota, west
until we were nearly out of Montana, north through Glacier Park to
Calgary and the GOF at Kananaskis, Then through the Canadian Rockies to
Jasper, Yellowhead highway west and south to Kamloops, toward the coast
on the ferry to Vancouver Island and back roads out to Long Beach on the
Pacific side. Down to Victoria, back to Vancouver (city) on the ferry,
Seattle, Mt St Helens, Mt Hood, Mt Shasta and eventually home. nearly 3
weeks with a longest day of 740 miles. We were alone, without MG support
most of the time, but except for a cracked SU float (superglue and a
piece of Coke can works for 3 months+) and a blistered tire in North
Dakota (Whaddaya mean a 5.25x16?) we had no grief. The nicest part was
that at every rest stop and overlook you became part of the attraction
instead of being one of the "lookers". You wouldn't believe the number
of people who said: "I have an MG" "I used to have an MG" "My ---- had
an MG" I even had a woman come up at Devil's Tower and say that she had
one just like it "except it steers from the other side" - and she did,
even though fewer than 900 YTs were made. Go figure.

I'm sure there are many longer runs to hear about. Back in the mid 60s
we hosted a couple from South Africa who came through in an MGA. They
were on an extended honeymoon, up to the Mediterranean, through Europe
to Norway, to Britain where their first child was born, to and across
America, to New Zealand, Australia, and eventually home!

Anybody want a copy of a videotape showing MGA on the 1956 Alpine rally?
It was a publicity film for Triumphs, so they are featured, but there
are MGAs and lots of other good LBC iron.    Jarl de Boer