Re: Austin America

To: "Paul C. McGinty" <pablito@io.com>
Subject: Re: Austin America
From: deboer@pacbell.net
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 11:47:58 -0700
Paul C. McGinty wrote:

> The Morris Minor 1100 which was the same basic car as the Austin America
> had a transverse mounted engine with the transmission incorporated in
> the engine oil pan as an integral unit. The transmission was lubricated
> with the engine oil.

(Minor) correction: The car you're referring to is a Morris 1100 but NOT
a Morris Minor. The latter ALWAYS had a fore-and-aft power unit while
the Austin/Morris 1100 was an enlarged car patterned after the Mini and
which was sold here in the States as an MG 1100. It was then superceded
by the Austin America which was a 1275 transverse. BLMC made MGB and MGC
sized tranverse engined cars which were never sold in the States. You
might sometimes see an Austin 1800 in Canada. I also had an Austin A105
Westminster for several years which had the 3 liter engine, but the 4
main Healey type and not the MGC. Jarl