Re: Reverse gear problem

To: Ned Cartwright <ned@nedcart.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Reverse gear problem
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 15:46:41 -0700
Ned Cartwright wrote:

> This is my first posting in this mailing list so hello. I have had a '76
> B roadster, white, 52k miles for the last few months and in the last few
> days encountered a reverse gear problem that appears to happen after a
> run. Reverse gear appears to be not engaged, although there is some
> slight reverse drive, which doesn't get better with increased throttle.
>
> I imagine it must be an internal problem in the g'box, but wonder if
> anybody could help me with an explanation. I'm new to these motors and
> the manuals I have don't record any gearbox faults related to reverse
> gear. The box has overdrive and I wonder if there is any interaction
> between the units.

I'm sure that you'll see this more than once, but there could be an interaction
with
your O/D unit and your reverse.  If your OD is engaged and won't disengage,
DON'T TRY
TO BACK UP!!!  I don't know what it'll do to your car, but it's probably like
that
rabbit in the Monty Python movie: innocent looking, yet deadly.  Other than
that, I
can't really help you.  Someone who's had OD problems could probably give you
more
advice...

--
Michael S. Lishego