Re: Reverse gear problem

To: Ned Cartwright <ned@nedcart.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Reverse gear problem
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:57:14 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Ned Cartwright wrote:
> days encountered a reverse gear problem that appears to happen after a
> run. Reverse gear appears to be not engaged, although there is some
> slight reverse drive, which doesn't get better with increased throttle.

Ned,
I have very limited experience with ODs, but a friend of mine had an old
Spitfire on which the OD wasn't working.  I am fairly sure that it was
always off, not stuck in the "engaged" position.
When his car was cold, reverse gear would work, but as soon as things had
warmed up, reverse was completely gone.
The consensus at the time was that some one-way clutch in the OD was worn
down or something like that.  Maybe an OD expert can pick up on this?

BTW, my friend tried to sell the car like this w/o telling the buyer.  He
almost got away with it...<head shake>

                                                           '67 Sprite