RE: Reverse gear problem

To: <ned@nedcart.demon.co.uk>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Subject: RE: Reverse gear problem
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:35:41 -0400
Doug Russell wrote:

> Sounds like the classic symptom of forgetting to switch the
> OD off!!  Are you sure you are taking it out of OD?  If you are
> sure that it's not your  error then it still sounds like the OD is
> not switching off.  Are there any other symptoms such as
> intermittent engaging/disengaging which might suggest
> some fault(s) with the electrics or switch?  Also, perhaps the
> solenoid is failing to disengage (although I have not heard of
> this before).

Been there ... done that ... still have the old solenoid ... ;^)

If you engaged/disengaged the OD (even for a second) then after
a few minutes of driving the OD would engage itself and refuse
to disengage ... if you didn't engage the OD then all was well.
The solenoid was weak and once the OD was engaged it was
not strong enough to completely block the flow of oil ... after a
few minutes enough pressure built up in the OD to engage.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII