Re: enthusiasts?

To: MGSMGBGT@aol.com, Teacher122@aol.com, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: enthusiasts?
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:05:35 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-23 08:09:47 EDT, MGSMGBGT@aol.com writes:

<<
 << -i am a married grad student...the fact that my dist.cap, rotor, points,
&
   coil are not lucas-made, i have cheap carpet that i installed, an after-
   market fuel pump, poor paint, etc. is due to lack of money, not lack of
   interest and involvement.  i have a sound motor that is well-tuned and
   maintained, and a working overdrive that i had to re-wire (correctly) in
   order for it to engage.  restoration for some is a slow process.  but i
   do not plan to tire of and sell my 'b.  this is not meant as a flame at
   all, but generalizations about a group should be avoided, (i'm 24--a
   member of this generation that you mention), and often one encounters
   a sort of snobbery at these gatherings of 'enthusiasts' that you refer
   to.
  -robert williford   (who recently shaved his goatee, but cut his hair
                      and quit wearing an earring a few years ago...)

 Robert,

 Sounds like my car.  My aunt gave me mine, otherwise I'd still be getting
all
 of my kicks in my 1994 S-10 SS.  My car won't ever be a concourse princess (
 I'm one of those "poor school teachers"), but I still enjoy the few shows
 that I go to and with few exceptions the group on this board are very
 friendly and helpful.  Hang in there!

 Tom Green
 1979 MGB

 p.s.  The general consensus that I've witnessed is a desire to keep the
hobby
 viable
         through the involvement of younger enthusiasts.  That would be you!

 Here Here!

 Sounds like my car when I was in grad school.  Not all that far from my car
 now.  It is your car, and you should do what you must to enjoy it.  If you
 wish to do it again later and improve on things, that is OK.  If not, if you
 enjoy the car then that is OK too.  Either way, your car would be welcome at
 our show or any of our other events!

 Bob Shaw
 Events Chair
 Flatwater Austin-Healey Club (and other assorted British marques)
 Lincoln, NE

Guys,
I don't know of ANY enthusiast that would give anything other than
encouragement to another interested in British cars.  We are a fairly quirky
group, interested in fairly quirky cars!
'Course I must admit that I try to 'encourage' the better looking members of
the opposite sex.
Ray
(thanking God that I can get out of the house to a decent bar again...)